Abbadia Alpina belonged to the Marca di Torino (March of Turin), but came to be governed by the abbots of the future diocese of Pinerolo, even after the city had established itself as a commune (1200). From 1235, however, Amadeus IV, Count of Savoy, exercised over the town a kind of protectorate, which in 1243 became absolute, and was exercised thereafter either by the house of Savoy At one time, it belonged to a Benedictine monastery (see below) founded in 1064 by Adelaide, Countess of Turin, and suppressed in 1748.
In the nineteenth century, it was a commune in its own right, part of the mandamento of Pinerolo in the Province of Pinerolo and the Diocese of Pinerolo. c. 1855 it had 192 houses, 315 families and a population of 1,406.
Abbadia Alpina comprises five Borghi (neighborhoods):