The distinctive unit insignia consists of a device of gold-colored metal and enamel, 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter, depicting an adaptation of the crest and motto of the coat of arms. The crest is that of the Hamilton family, Alexander Hamilton being a former commander of one of the elements of the regiment.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 5th Field Artillery Regiment on 21 January 1924. It was redesignated for the 5th Field Artillery Battalion on 13 September 1944. The insignia was cancelled on 19 April 1960. It was reinstated and authorized for the 5th Field Artillery Regiment effective 1 September 1971.
The New York Provincial Company of Artillery was led first in the Revolutionary War by Captain and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States Alexander Hamilton, the unit fought at Long Island, Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth, Yorktown, and New York. After participating in the final victory at Yorktown, the unit was selected as the only Continental Army unit to remain on active duty status. Later the unit fought in the War of 1812; and in the Miami, Creek, Seminole, Little Big Horn and Pine Ridge Indian campaigns. The unit also participated multiple campaigns in the Mexican War.
Remaining loyal to the Union, "Hamilton's Own" fought valiantly in the Valley, Manassas, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and the Virginia 1861 Campaigns.