The 13th Parachute Dragoon Regiment (French: 13e Régiment de Dragons Parachutistes, 13e RDP) is a special reconnaissance regiment of the French Army. It is one of three regiments in the French Army Special Forces Command, which is under the control of the COS (special operations command). It is based in Martignas-sur-Jalle.
Constituted under the form of a regiment of Dragoon (the mounted cavalry) during the Ancien Regime by the Marquis de Barbezières at Languedoc in 1676, this cavalry regiment, one of the oldest, adopted the nomination of 13th Dragoon Regiment (French: 13e Régiment de dragons) during the reorganization of the French cavalry in 1791. The regiment was transformed into an armored corps in 1936, then a airborne-capable reconnaissance unit in 1952.
Like many regiments in European militaries of the 17th and 18th centuries the regiment often changed name to reflect its current commander or patron.
Dragoon Regiment of The Empress
( 1855 to 1870 )
13th Dragoon Regiment
( 1870 to 1945 )